[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Choice Hotels

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Dec 30 16:03:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 08:07 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> I can tether a Windows machine to my Blackberry, but I have not figured out
> how to do that with a Linux machine.

There is command-line software called "barry" but it is fairly early in
its development. There was an article about it in last month's "Linux
Journal".

> Anyway, I have discovered that the smaller "Mom and Pop" places, often along
> the Interstates, have very few problems. The larger, more expensive "Big
> Name" hotels are where I have problems.

These are also the places that typically have problems with hackers and
spammers; it is much easier to hide in a large place. That is why they
have to have so many restrictions. We have had users report problems
where they cannot authenticate to our mail server from a hotel. Turns
out the hotel was diverting all outbound SMTP connections to one of
their own servers (probably an anti-spam measure). That works fine for
your average Outlook user trying to send mail, but it really screws
things up if you are trying to do authentication or TLS encryption, as
we require our users to do if they want to relay mail through our
servers from outside our network.

Chances are, the click-through EULA that nobody ever reads has
provisions in it that allow them to do this, so there isn't much you can
do other than work around it. I use a VPN link to work, or when they are
blocking that,  SSH port forwarding (as suggested by a previous poster).

--Greg