[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Choice Hotels

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:26:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 7:55 PM, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Were you able to SSH into your server at home? If you are able to do
>> that, you can forward ports over the SSH connection. The other thing
>> you can do is setup openvpn and use that to connect directly to your
>> home network. Since it's a VPN connection you are less likely to have
>> it blocked since they wouldn't want to upset their business customers.
>>
>> When staying at a hotel I never use their connection directly, instead
>> I either VPN into another network with a proxy server and use the
>> proxy or SSH into another network and forward the proxy port and
>> access the internet that way.
>>

> David-
>
> I have a couple of questions about your suggestions.
>
> I have tried connecting to mythweb directly with my browser from work
> and alternately by trying to run a browser within an SSH session from
> my mythweb server and found the "normal" method *much* faster.  Is
> there some setting(s) that need to be made to get the SSH'd browser
> session to run faster?
>
> Second, how involved is setting up a VPN?  Any more than setting up
> the SSH connection?
>
> Craig.

Craig,

I'm forced to use windows at work, so I use PuTTY as my SSH client. I
usually don't notice things going too slow, but I know there is an
option use compression on your SSH session. If you're doing it via a
command line it's the -C switch and if you're in PuTTY it's under the
SSH option under connections.

I have experience using OpenVPN from http://openvpn.net/. The setup
wasn't all that hard and there are clients for every platform out
there.

Just for clarity, you're doing something like this to tunnel port 80 correct?

$ ssh -L80:localhost:80 root at server

then opening up your local browser and going to
http://localhost/mythweb/ correct?

try this to add compression:

$ ssh -C -L80:localhost:80 root at server

Incidentally, if you have a webserver running locally, you can tunnel
a remote port to a different local port if you need:

$ ssh -L80:localhost:8080 root at server

and access via:

http://localhost:8080/mythweb/

David