[mythtv-users] Mythtv backend fails with removed tuner when frontend connects?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 30 14:16:41 UTC 2008

On 12/30/2008 07:34 AM, William wrote:
> Ben Coleman wrote:
>
>> Have removed a dual HD tuner card from my dedicated backend and
>> whenever I connect the dedicated frontend to the network, the backend
>> fails as per below.
>>
>> 2008-12-30 16:48:28.094 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Monitor
>> 2008-12-30 16:48:28.117 adding: htpc-lounge as a client (events: 0)
>> 2008-12-30 16:48:28.124 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Monitor
>> 2008-12-30 16:48:28.131 adding: htpc-lounge as a client (events: 1)
>> 2008-12-30 16:48:28.367 MainServer: HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE)
>> Unknown encoder: 3, exiting
>> I have disabled the tuner in mythtv-setup but this does not fix it and
>> this has only started since I removed the Dual HD tuner. I cannot
>> reinstall to test as I have to remove my only working network card to
>> do this :/
>>
>> The backend still reports the 'disabled' cards as faulty on init which
>> I expect.
>> Does anyone know why the backend is falling over?
> Try removing all capture cards in setup and reinstall the ones you have
> left.

Yep.  That's definitely the best way.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

The fix is to not "disable" the capture card from mythtv-setup but to
/remove/ it.  You should not define any capture cards in Myth that do
not exist.  Note that Myth does not support having defined but
non-existent capture cards and does not support having defined (and
existent) capture cards with no connected inputs (the latter case often
seeming to work, but mysteriously just failing to work at some point in
the future--sometimes months later).

You can delete a capture card by hitting 'D' when it's selected in
mythtv-setup, but the "Delete all capture cards" approach is better.

Mike