[mythtv-users] mythfrontend hangs with "NVP::OpenFile(): Error, file not found: output.nuv"

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Dec 30 06:51:18 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Well, they're different package versions, but mythfrontend --version
>>> gives the same protocol and library API version numbers for both.  Is
>>> there something else I should check?
>> Really, you're supposed to run the same SVN revision number (which would
>> mean that protocol and library versions /must/ be identical), so
>> /that's/ the one to report to prove that you have the same version.
>
> OK, so after taking a backup of the master backend, I upgraded it to the
> same packages.  Its local frontend still works, but the remote frontend
> still hangs trying to play previews.  So it's not a version mismatch.
>
> This is highly curious, since the whole setup worked before I upgraded.

Some other stuff I just tried:

- Set "always stream recordings from backend".  No good.
- Turned off "display live preview of recordings".  This made it work,
to my surprise -- so apparently it's not that it can't find the
recording, it's just that it can't find the preview.

It occurs to me that maybe live preview in the local frontend works OK
because it has direct access to the recording files, instead of having
to stream them.

I suppose I can live without live preview videos now that I know that's
all that's broken, but it still seems pretty strange.