[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu becomes non-responsive after inactivity

Bill White raygions at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 19:56:30 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 12/29/08, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:

> From: James Crow <james at ultratans.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythbuntu becomes non-responsive after inactivity
> To: raygions at yahoo.com, "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
> On Thu, 2008-12-25 at 07:42 -0800, Bill White wrote:
> > After about 20-30 minutes of inactivity, my
> installation of Mythbuntu
> > (1 week old) turns off monitor output and becomes
> apparently
> > non-responsive to input from the mouse, keyboard or
> remote.  I say
> > apparently, because switching consoles (e.g.
> alt-ctrl-F5) then back to
> > alt-ctrl-F7 will recover functionality.
> >
> > I discovered this, as well as a possible solution, on
> Tuesday while
> > researching the problem, but have managed to lose the
> bookmark, and am
> > as-of-yet unable to reproduce my steps in finding it.
> I remember that
> > the potential fix was a change to xorg.conf, and that
> the attribute
> > being set was a boolean.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >

> On my Mythbuntu 8.10 the system wakes up when I press a key
> on the
> remote. It also does not turn the video off while I am
> actually watching
> something. (Automatic commercial skip means I may not touch
> the remote
> for 1.5 hours while watching a show.) For me there is no
> need to disable
> the screen blanking.
>
> If you look in the mythfrontend.log file you will see Myth
> disable DPMS
> when you start to watch something. DPMS is enabled while
> just sitting at
> a menu. If you want to disable DPMS control set:
>
> Option	"DPMS"	"bool"
>
> For the monitor you want to change.
>
> You may also want to look at the screen saver setting in
> XFCE.
>
> Cheers,
> James

When I said 'inactivity', I meant when the Myth box was sitting idle; neither being manipulated via an input, nor playing music or video.  Fortunately, I do not have the issue where the screen fades to black in mid-play.

When humans are not interacting with the box, then the display is turned off.  That is as it should be.  The problem is that once this happens that pushing on the remote, mouse or keyboard (short of switching consoles) will not awaken the output to the display.  I am reasonably certain that at that point the Myth box is completely active save for the screen.