[mythtv-users] How can I disable this "feature"?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Dec 29 17:08:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 09:42 -0500, ryan patterson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> > There is a "feature" of MythTV that I would like to somehow
> > disable.  I have a firewire connection to a Moto DCH-3200, and
> > whenever the backend starts up (on a reboot, for instance) the
> > backend changes the channel to whatever was being watched
> > the last time a frontend was used.
>
> Why are you manually using a cablebox that has been relegated to
> MythTV duty?  Seariously you can not expect MythTV to play nice with
> humans co-opting its resources unannounced.  The solution is to get a
> second cable box (which you wont connect to MythTV).  Then you wont be
> tempted to manually control the box connected to MythTV.
>
> I suggest not to bother the developers with this request.

I don't think "just get another cable box" is really a fair answer here.
These things are not cheap.

I also have a DCH-3200 which I share between the mythtv and actual
direct usage on occasion.  The direct usage rate is low enough that it
doesn't justify an extra $200 per year or whatever it is that Comcast is
charging for these things these days.

My wife knows to check the upcoming recordings on the myth and make sure
that nothing is scheduled in the near future and we try to avoid
rebooting the backend.

Eric