[mythtv-users] What would happen if I cloned a working system disk and put it in another system?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 03:34:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Long story / short:  I am still running MythTV 0.20.x on FC6 and/or
> CentOS 5.x for various reasons.
>
> If I temporarily add another hard drive to one of my working systems,
> partition it appropriately, and use "dump | restore" to get a
> duplicate disk (and then figure out how to put the MBR on it and fix
> issues with Fedora's predilection to tie everything to the disk UID
> instead of the partition name, such as /dev/hda4) is there a decent
> chance it will work as a system disk for another system with a
> different mobo, but with the same cpu family -- meaning something like
> AMD Athlon - AMD Athlon, or Intel Core 2 Duo - Intel Core 2 Duo?

CPU family is more generic than that - there's a 686 kernel which runs on
all 32-bit systems from a PII up, and a 64-bit kernel which runs on both AMD
and Intel 64-bit CPUs.

Of more concern is the hard drive controller - typically the initial ramdisk
is set up to work with the controller chipset on the system, and a different
system may use a different controller, resulting in a kernel panic on
bootup.

To deal with this, after booting up with a rescue disk and running
grub-install (typically "grub-install /dev/sda"), I rebuild the initial
ramdisk with "mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-KERNELVERSION KERNELVERSION", where
KERNELVERSION is the full string after "vmlinuz-" in the /boot directory
(whichever kernel the grub boot menu defaults to, of course).

Calvin