[mythtv-users] Advice for VDPAU and HD-PVR

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Dec 28 03:47:10 UTC 2008

Paul Bender wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>> And I have discovered, to my chagrin and a LOT of wasted time, that the
>> Nvida driver installs it's own versions of some files...not just adding
>> new and extra files. Merely installing the nvidia 180.16 driver *will*
>> break playback with other chipsets/drivers.
>>
>> If you wish to try that route, do not install the driver until you have
>> extracted the contents (NVIDIA....pkg.run -x ' and made copies of the
>> libraries and include files which are included in the driver package and
>> which the install will replace.
>> As the old naval orders used to say 'Fail not hereof at your peril'.
>
> Yes, it is annoying. I wish NVIIDIA would not rely on things such as
> customized GL libraries.
>
> I install the files from the proprietary NVIDIA driver is a separate
> directory tree and modify /etc/ld.conf and /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that
> they can be found.

I think you ought to expound on how you do that, specifically in regards
to the /usr/lib/GL/xxxxx.h files. The general libraries are easier to
split out, but 1) how do you differentiate the libGLcore library in
../xorg/modules/extensions/ and 2) how do you point to the new libraries
specifically from xorg.conf?

And please, whatever you post here, add it to the VDPAU page on the wiki.

And has anyone else seen the same conduct with the 'standard' nvidia
drivers (177...etc.)?

Geoff