[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital - Do i have this straight?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 27 15:20:32 UTC 2008

On Saturday 27 December 2008 07:57:51 Joe Henley wrote:
> JR,
>
> I think you have it essentially correct.  However, how well the system
> works for you will be highly dependent upon how many channels TW decides
> to leave open vs scrambled.
>
> In my area at the present, the digital feeds from TW are mostly
> unscrambled; very much like the analog feeds.  So only the premium stuff
> is scrambled.  I've read notes here and elsewhere about TW service where
> almost all the channels are scrambled.  If your area is similar to the
> latter, then the HVR-1250 connected in front of the "box" would be useless.
>
> While my experience with TW causes me to hesitate with this
> recommendation, I'd suggest you ask these questions of your TW tech
> support folks.

If you happpen to know anyone on the same cable system who owns a new-ish TV
set with a clear QAM tuner (a common feature), you might be able to determine
what channels are unencrypted.

I'd go with this sort of empirical evidence, rather then the word of a "tech"
who may not have the best info, or even understand it.

--
beww
beww at beww.org