[mythtv-users] BBC Timing issues

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 03:03:13 UTC 2008

On 27/12/2008, ub40dd <ub40dd at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:
> > Yeah, Wallace & Gromit started particularly late, about 6 minutes or so.
> > Luckily, I have 5 minutes hard padding, and 5 minutes soft padding by
> > default, and the soft padding was used on this occasion, so I got the
> > whole program. However if a following program had required the tuner, I
> > would probably have missed the end as well.
> >

> What's the difference between soft and hard padding and how/where do you set
> them? I only recall a setting along the lines of "start xx minutes
> early/late" and "end yy mins early/late" under scheduling options.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/352248 for some
details (search gossamer and the wiki too).

Hard padding is set on a per-rule basis (in Scheduling Options), and
is always taken into account when scheduling. This will help to ensure
you get the required extra minutes at the end of a programme, but can
lead to scheduling conflicts if you have back-to-back recordings and
insufficient inputs.

Soft padding is set on a global basis (mythfrontend TV settings) and
is not guaranteed to be included when recording.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: