[mythtv-users] Upgrading to Fedora 10 "insufficient disk space"

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 02:09:17 UTC 2008

On 25/12/2008, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Alternatively,
>  how can I best find what is hogging that space (I originally gave the
>  system partition close to 9 gigs).  I have googled around to find
>  different flags and piping options using du/df sort and the like, but
>  am having a real hard time finding anything over a gig.  Already
>  cleared out a weeks worth (except today) of sql db backups and several
>  logs, but this just gave me a few hundred megs.

Something simple like:

# du -B 1M -s /* | sort +0nr

will give sorted top level directory usage. You can then drill down
further into any directories that are taking up a lot of space:

# du -B 1M -s /var/cache/* | sort +0nr

Checking /var/cache/yum (it may be holding a lot of RPMs and repo data
which will not be needed in the upgrade), /tmp/, /usr/src for old
source, and /boot for old kernel images should help to reclaim some
disk space.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott