[mythtv-users] OT: OTA HD

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Dec 25 18:48:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 16:31 -0500, A JM wrote:
> Interesting topic guys and terrific information!
>
> My TV only has a single coax input - is there a way to combine
> over-the-air channels with the cable company cable into a single
> source?
>

>       (OA)     (CABLE)
>
>              \    /
>
>          (TV Input)

No, not really. Or, at least not without spending thousands of
dollars on filters and remodulators. You can't combine the signals
with a simple Y filter because then you will then be broadcasting
the cable signal over-the-air. Cable companies are under strict
FCC rules to make every effort to catch and disable any such
leakage transmissions because they interfere with broadcast
licensees use of the spectrum. That is if you do it all your
neighbors stop getting OTA reception which tends to upset both
them and your local broadcasters.

If you have power and ethernet in the attic you can place a network
based ATSC device such as a HDHomeRun next to the antenna. Even if
you just have power there you can set up power-line networking to
reach the device.

-- Daniel