[mythtv-users] Patching .21-fixes for HDPVR

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 15:22:25 UTC 2008

On 12/25/08, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
>

> > zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com <zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com> says:
> > > I'm unable to get the patches to apply to 0.21-fixes svn branch. I'm
> > > following the directions at the wiki:
> > > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_HD-PVR
> >
> > Read all of
> >
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/351743#351743>,
> > then the relevant portions of
> >
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/359956#359956>.
>
> I am also exploring this path to see if this is a reasonable stop-gap
> measure until 0.22.  I grabbed the patch from the first thread and applied
> it successfully.
>
>  The question is...has all this been summarized by somebody (ideally on the
> MythTV wiki)?  If not, I'd be willing to get that started (although I'm not
> exactly the expert yet since I haven't actually run my new build yet).
> Zoiks said that he put something in the Mythbuntu forum so it would be nice
> to consolidate things as well.
>
>  My concern is that to follow this path people have to fish out the patch
> from that discussion, apply some manual DB tweaks and there is the looming
> concern of how to get the DB back on track to use trunk/new releases.  It
> seems like it would be good to have all of that documented in one place to
> avoid future problems.  That way as people make the jump from the patched
> version to 0.22 there is a place to collect any issues/fixes.
>
>  Comments?
>
> --
> Mike

Please *do not* write any more documentation on taking this path.  If
people want to do this, there's nothing we can do to stop them, but
codifying it only perpetuates broken DBs.  It is a *good* thing that
getting .21 working with the HD-PVR is hard/not well documented-- we
want to *prevent this*.

So please, please, *please*.  Don't do this, don't advise people to do
this, and especially don't put anything like this on the wiki where it
could be misconstrued as an endorsed plan of action.  We have had a
near-identical problem when people enabled UTF8 in mythtv before
trunk/.22.  There was documentation in the wiki about it, and it led
to corrupt data because people followed it.  Mike Dean has spent the
better part of the last two weeks working on fixes for this and
similar issues.  That is a literal parable about the kinds of things
that will happen if people start doing this.  It causes other people
(who could be adding features) to waste valuable time trying to fix
it, and speaking only for myself, causes massive frustration.

As the author and "maintainer" of the HD-PVR wiki page, I will revert
any change made that that page that includes instruction on this
topic.

For clarity, not jumping down *your* throat per se, but I feel the
need to address this before it gets any more out of hand than it
already is.

Robert