[mythtv-users] Advice for VDPAU and HD-PVR

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 02:30:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Michael Tiller wrote:
>
> So I got an HD-PVR for Christmas.  I also asked for and got an NVIDIA
> 8400GS expecting that my system won't be able to play back the recordings
> very nicely.
>
> As I see it, I have several choices:
>
>    1. Wait until 0.22 and have both HD-PVR and VDPAU support in that.
>    2. Install 0.21-fixes + HD-PVR support as a patch (I assume this is
>    available, I saw something about it).
>    3. Upgrade to trunk (and the associated instability)
>

> I recommend capturing some sample video with your new device in Windows
> with its supported drivers/software and see if you can play back on your
> frontend at an acceptable compression rate before continuing on worrying
> about what to do next.

I sort of did this already.  I grabbed some samples off the Wiki.  My best
recollection is that the lost resolution one was OK, but the higher ones
weren't.  In any case, I'm going to give what you suggest a try and try and
build an HD-PVR capable version of 0.21-fixes first.  One problem I've
already found with that is that the thread where these patches were
mentioned also mentions some manual schema modification in order to support
this patch.  I'm a bit concerned about how to get to 0.22 if I go this
route.

I don't suppose anybody has any debs for a 0.21-fixes + HD-PVR?!? (just to
save me the trouble of doing the builds ;-)

> Upgrading to trunk is always a decision you have to make yourself. You have
> to decide if you're going to take the time and effort it takes to catch up
> on the -dev and -commit lists and follow them. This will answer your
> questions about "which build should I use?"

I realize I could watch -commits and -dev and look for a point where the
trunk has mainly stabilized.  However, my point was I'd be perfectly happy
for someone to tell me such a point in the past as well.  I'm assuming that
such points have been reached between now and when VDPAU support showed up.
So if anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears.  I'm assuming I'm not the
only one in this boat.

Don't forget that if you're going with option 3, you also need to run beta
> video drivers from nvidia which can be challenging on its own.

Good point.  Thanks.

> -Brad

Good discussion

--