[mythtv-users] Fedora 10 upgrade feedback

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 16:30:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not intending to de-rail this thread, but I am strongly considering
> moving my FC7 box over to CentOS to escape the whole upgrade cycle (my
> box has effectively had no upgrades since the FC7 drop of support).
> Is there any reason people are continuing on with FC as opposed to
> going CentOS, and reasons for me to consider not doing this?

I think you will get varying opinions on this one.  Personally, at
work I use CentOS almost exclusively for my Linux servers because of
the stability.  However, at home for my various Linux desktops I'm
sticking with Fedora.  Yes, the upgrade cycle can be a bit of a pain;
although having now gone through several version upgrades on these
boxes I now pretty much know what to expect and haven't really run
into many major issues.  If you are a person who isn't always looking
for the latest and greatest CentOS is probably a good choice.  But I
just think with a lot of multimedia applications, like MythTV, you can
expect that you will sometimes need the latest kernel to get support
for the newer hardware.  Unless you are willing to build your own
kernels you will find that CentOS is often several "." release behind
the latest when it comes to the kernel.   For example, I think the
latest kernel on CentOS is 2.6.18; whereas F10 is pretty much right up
to date with 2.6.27.

Just my opinion though.

John