[mythtv-users] LiveTV keeps recording and recording and recording ...

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 16:40:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:16 PM, David Fishburn
<dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> MythTV 0.21 on Ubuntu
> According to Synaptic I am running: 0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1
>
> I have a BE/FE and 2 AppleTV FEs.
>
> I have confirmed, both of the FEs are turned off.
> The BE/FE is at the main menu.
>
> Yet for some reason:
> Encoder 9 is local on myth and is watching Live TV: 'Days of our
> Lives' on CIII. This recording will end at 2:00 PM.
>
> Basically, it just keeps recording and recording.
>
> If I go to Recordings / LiveTV, 'Days of our Lives' is not highlighted
> to indicate it is recording in progress.  So I can't click on it and
> tell it to stop recording.
>
> I can't cancel the recording from MythWeb either.
> In MythWeb, when I "Edit" the recording in progress and choose the
> first option (cancel it) I save successfully.
> Though nothing happens, it just keeps recording.
>
> This has happened over 3 times now, I eventually have to restart the BE.
> But I left it like this right now so that hopefully someone on this
> list will be able to help me get to the bottom of it.
>
> Any ideas on what to check for?
>
> TIA,
> Dave

I have one frontend and one backend, and I had this occur last night.
I've never had it occur before (that I know of).

I actually know what caused it, though I can't reproduce it.  I've
noticed for some time (at least with the OTA DTV I watch) that if you
go into LiveTV and attempt to key in a channel number too quickly
(before the current channel for the tuner starts playing) it will
almost always generate a video error and return you to the menu.

When this happened to me last night it left that tuner in LiveTV mode
and I could find no other way of stopping it short of restarting the
backend.

It's entirely possible that this has happened before and I didn't
notice it, as I'd imagine that the first time that all three of my
tuners are needed at the same time, it would get taken over by that
and be ok again.

Tom