[mythtv-users] Video Card Load.

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 14:59:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Matt Nelson <matt at frozenatom.com> wrote:
> I really think that I am hitting a bottle neck with my video card.  I have a
> 7800 GTO EVGA 256MB card in my frontend in the bedroom, and it runs much
> better then my GeForce 6500 that is trying to push 720p constantly...  Is
> there  a way to benchmark the GPU and see what each of these cards is
> running at?  Also is there a recomendataion for a good video card, nvidia
> not ati, it must also be able to do XvMC.

unless these cards are PCI (which I'm doubting) I don't see how you
could be reaching a bottleneck in your video card. I've got a 5200
card in my main frontend that pushes my 50" Panasonic Plasma at 1080p
with no hiccups. Of course, I intend to upgrade it to a 9xxx card to
take advantage of VDPAU, but if that had never appeared I'd happily
keep running it.

Perhaps some background in what issues you have will allow us to give
you some better advice. If your insistant on a new card, I'd look into
some of the fanless 9xxx cards currently available (newegg has some
good prices right now), and perhaps give the VDPAU patches a try
instead of futzing with XvMC which will eventually go the way of the
Dodo as VDPAU matures.

--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/