[mythtv-users] Surround Sound Amplifier System with Analog inputs

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 23 11:23:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 22:06 +0000, jonny Linux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a SBLive Platinum 5.1 sound card, with a fairly basic set of
> speakers which I'm driving from 3 separate 3.5mm jacks. I'm thinking
> of getting a Home Cinema system, which would allow me to control the
> amplifier by remote control, and also play media without my combined
> Frontend/Backend being on all the time. I'm thinking of something like
> the LG HT303SU, but from looking at the specifications of it, I don't
> think I'll be able to connect all of my 5.1 channels as an input. Does
> anybody know of a system which would allow me to plug in all 5.1
> channels into it via 3 3.5mm jacks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonny

I purchased (as a birthday present for myself) a Onkyo amp for my
frontend. I was able to purchase this, a small Jamo Sub and cables for
under AUD$1000. My FE has the option for 7.1 via 3.5mm jacks, spdif or
HDMI. The Onkyo amp allows for 7.1 channels via RCA, optical and
coaxial. My TV has HDMI in and connects to the amps optical in. I have
yet to get HDMI audio working (ALC883 or something like that) so at the
moment I am using 3x 3.5mm to RCA cables to take the audio from the FE
direct to the amp. It works great but I have to use Alsa mixer to tweak
the levels for my front rear and centre speakers (if the amp receives a
digital signal it can do this automatically).

In short you should be able to get a good amp that will do it for not
much $$$ just go down to you local discount store and pick one that
allows 5.1/7.1 input via RCA.