[mythtv-users] PCI graphics card, but with decode on the CPU - any chance of working?

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 13:57:27 UTC 2008

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For SD decode, I'm using ffmpeg and opengl on a Radeon 9000, and
> getting superb results - best I've had out of MythTV.  But the
> card is AGP and it's really difficult to get an mATX motherboard
> with AGP these days. I was thinking of buying a PCI Radeon 9200.
> Is there any chance that PCI will have sufficient bandwidth? I
> reckon it would be fine if I was doing the decode on the gpu,
> but presumably the combination of ffmpeg and opengl, means
> sending decoded frames between cpu and gpu.
>
> Failing that, anyone know of a nice slim case that will take
> a full-size ATX motherboard?
>
> Cheers,
> 	Paul.

If you are buying a new motherboard why not buy one with PCI-E and/or a
built in GeForce8series+ and then you don't have to worry about PCI or
AGP.  This way when Myth .22 arrives you get all the benefits of VDPAU
(if you decide to move to HD) and you have a machine that can function
right now.

Is the Radeon 9200 even supported by ATI drivers in Linux anymore?

I have a PCI video card and without VDPAU using mythtv it was fairly
useless (with XV).
PCI-E Nvidia 8 series cards can be had for $30-$40, really no reason to
go any other way.

Lee