[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 12:21:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 9:32 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
>
> | Buy only 7200 rpm drives. Or if you want the 5400/7200 dual speed wd drives
>
> I don't think that there are any dual (or variable) speed WD drives.
>
> If you are refering to WD GP drives, the current models are 5400RPM
> but the specs try to disguise this.  Testing reveals all.
>
> http://www.storagereview.com/1000.sr?page=0%2C1
>
> Even so, these drives might well be a good choice for Myth: it isn't
> obvious to me whether the speed difference matters to Myth; Myth
> boxes are often on all the time so power consumption might matter
> more.

I currently have 4x640gb WD Green Power drives in my backend. All
mounted as individual filesystems (XFS formatted) and added to the
same storage group. They replaced a plethora of other various sized
drives (which were in the system for reasons other than recordings),
and the tempurature in my case has never been so low. I'm just
guessing, really, but the green power drives never get hot, they're
quiet, and performance has been 10x better than my old EIDE WD 200gb
7200rpm drive, which used to be my only recording drive. I can record
2 HD and 1 SD show at the same time, while watching something else
(either hd or sd, doesn't matter, the frontend is a separate machine)
without issue. Note, there's 4 drives, and only 3 tuners, so the
likelyhood of there ever being 2 things recording to the same drive is
nil. This might change things, if you only planned on using a single
drive.

~Jon