[mythtv-users] Remotes, IR Receivers and MCE remotes

Russ Dill russ.dill at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 05:13:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:

> It seems that buying just an IR receiver is costlier than buying a remote
> with a IR receiver.  That doesn't make a lot of sense.  With all the old
> remotes around it would be nice to buy a receiver and program whatever
> remote...  Is it possible to find a good inexpensive USB IR receiver?
>
> The mythtv wiki has a couple of pages on MCE remotes and it looks like one
> needs to be careful about which one to get.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Generic_HID_"MCE"_Remotes
>

> These two appear fairly similar and work from what I can tell.  A similar
> Pinnacle model for $29.99 did not seem to work well for one mythbuntu user.
> What is most preferred by people?
>
> Microsoft A9O-00007 WinXP Media Center Infrared Remote Control  $38.99
>
> Anyware HA-IR01SV Infrared Certified MCE VISTA Remote Control   $21.99

I've had a fair experience with both:

Anyware GP-IR01BK Windows Vista Infrared MCE Black Remote Control
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003

and
Anyware GP-IR02BK Vista 2 channel IR Remote Control
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003

The first one comes with a USB receiver and a remote. The second one
comes with the same remote, but the USB receiver also had a dual
channel IR transmitter. Both work great for receiving codes from a
variety of remotes. However, I haven't been able to get the IR
transmitter to function.

I'd go with a USB/remote bundle. It has the nice added bonus of being
able to wake the frontend from suspend.