[mythtv-users] can't login in to sql

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 01:24:00 UTC 2008

2008/12/22 the mad doctor kaeding <the.mad.doctor.kaeding at gmail.com>:
> Yes, I'm following the instructions, and got to
> this point in the manual:
>
> --------------------------
> Setup MythTV backend preferences and tune TV cards
>
> Open a Terminal Window and type
>
>> mythtv-setup
> -------------------------
>
> At this point I do NOT see the general setup window.  I see
> a window asking for hostname, port, sql username and password,
> and sql database name.  So I leave them as they are.  Then
>
> a new window comes up to tell me "Cannot log in to database?"
> After clicking 'OK', I'm dead.  Cannot run mythtv.

Hey,

Check that the datails that are filled in there match those in
/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

Check that you can log in on the commandline with those same credentials:
`echo 'show tables;' | mysql --user=mythtv --password=xxxxxx
--database=mythconverg`

You could also log in as root and make sure that the database exists:
`echo 'show databases;' | mysql --user=root --password`

If you're running a debian distro I believe that this will create the
database for you:
`sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database`

cheers,
Owen.