[mythtv-users] Fast or Slow deletes ???

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 18:46:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 21 December 2008 09:46:25 Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>
> > The
> > best ways to help this were to enable fast deletes (ext file systems) and
> > to restrict mythfilldatabase to the wee hours when almost nothing is
> > recording.
>
> "Fast Deletes" ???
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Oops, I meant "slow deletes".

> I record at least as much during the "wee hours" as I do any other time of
> day, and not using the the "suggested time" feature of SD might not be the
> best thing for them (though I am not sure how much of a factor that might
> be).

I'm not a fan at all of the "suggested time" feature.  When I used it, it
often thrashed the disk during prime-time recording of 3 simultaneous HD
shows, causing dropouts and seriously impacting the WAF.  Picking a specific
window is better.  Best would be for the backend to pick a window when
nothing (or at least very little) is recording.

Jim