[mythtv-users] Will HD-PVR support likely be in 0.21.1 or 0.22?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sun Dec 21 14:36:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:

>>> Then could you please explain this?
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Release_Notes_-_0.21.1
>>
>> Looks like release notes for .21-fixes which I suppose one might
>> consider similar to a .21.1 (although .21-fixes is technically always
>> a moving target).
>
> Anyway, not to beat a dead horse, but I also found this:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/roadmap?show=all
>
> Sure looks like 0.21.1 is being developed as a future release.

Pretty much a dead horse.  Bugs which are important enough to get
applied to the 0.21-fixes branch are marked against  0.21.1 so that
*IF* something major happened that the devs wanted to draw a line in
the sand and do a formal release, they wouldn't have to go sorting
tickets.  They would simply freeze 0.21.1, release it, and any future
0.21-fixes would be marked  0.21.2.  For some reason trac doesn't show
it right now, but the wiki has the release notes for 0.20.1
(HDHomerun) and 0.20.2 (Schedules direct).

So yes,  you could say that 0.21.1 is being developed, but it may or
may not ever be publicized as a "release".  What is just as likely to
happen is:

* 0.22 will be released
* Nearly all unresolved tickets that remain for both 0.21.1 and 0.22
will immediately be assigned to 0.22.1
* Going forward, nothing but the most serious problems will be fixed
on the 0.21 branch
* 0.22.1 will continue to receive tickets and fixes.  It might be
formally released, or just as likely 0.23 will come along

To continue dead horse beating, with as many changes as there are in
0.22 (QT4, MythUI, and soon Myth-vid branch), *if* I were king, I'd be
tempted to label the next release as 0.30 rather than 0.22.  0.22
makes it sound like a low risk upgrade from 0.21, when in reality,
there are likely to be a larger than average number of bugs at release
time due to the quantity of major changes (in my opinion).

   Marc