[mythtv-users] [GW-C] Nvidia component out to SDTV

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Dec 21 05:55:43 UTC 2008

| From: John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com>

| I have an old Sony TV that has component inputs

Me too.

| The problem is that I get a good component out picture but the blue
| is missing from the output.

I recently hooked mine up to a Cable TV HD PVR.  Excuse for not using
Myth: in Canada, the cable companies encrypt all HD signals and we
have no get-out-of-jail card ("CableCard") mandated.

When I first hooked it up, everything was black-and-pink on my TV.  I
thought that something was broken.  I replaced the component cables,
took the component switcher out of the circuit.  Finally, it was fixed
by going through the PVR setup procedure a different way.

I don't actually know what changed, but I suspect that I went to 480i
from something else.  The procedures don't want to enlighten the user.

Moral: on an old Sony CRT TV, what appears to be a missing colour
signal could in fact be an out-of-spec frequency.  Surprised me.