[mythtv-users] Rumours of a Nvidia powered new mini

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Dec 20 21:01:37 UTC 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

> If the rumours found here:
>
> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/19/new_imacs_and_mac_minis_confirmed_to_use_nvidia_chipsets.html
>
> may be the next (almost) perfect front end.

They are already really good (almost perfect) frontends, but
expensive. With the advent of VDPAU, you don't need nearly that much
processing power in a frontend any more.

I have a new MacBook Pro with the nvidia chips on it. When I run with
the slower chip, it's fine but when I run with the faster chip, the
machine gets hot very quickly and the fan runs at full blast which is
very loud compared to when it's usually off or running in low-speed
(silent) mode. I haven't installed frontend on it yet because it's a
work computer so I don't have any stats on that, but on my older
MacBook Pro, it's just fine.

-Brad