[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Ion platform - all your dreams come true?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Dec 19 01:03:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Preston Crow <
>> pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net> wrote:

>>> (wired),
>>>
>>> Nice concept, but why don't they make any low-power full-featured
>>> motherboards?  I want a low-power CPU, but I also want several expansion
>>> slots, dual ethernet, etc.  For a combined FE/BE/firewall/etc
>>> convergence system, I need a minimum of two PCI slots, dual ethernet (or
>>> an extra slot), and on-board video (or a PCIe slot).
>>>
>>> In other words, why is it so hard to find motherboards designed for
>>> desktop use with low-power ("mobile") processors?
>>>
>>> At this point, I'm probably going to wait for the dual-core Nehalem
>>> chips (quad core is overkill).
>>>

>> It's not, at least in the AMD world.  You can use a low voltage Athlon X2
>> on almost any AM2 motherboard.
>>
>> For intel:
>> http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=54
>>
>> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2292
>>
>> The deal with these boards is that they're "all in one" and micro, which
>> used to also mean "low performance."  What you want has always existed.
>>
>> To be honest, most (if not all) modern processors support dynamic
>> clocking, which is WELL supported in linux.  When my box is doing nothing
>> (like right now) it scaled back to 1ghz (or maybe even less).  It draws much
>> less power.

>> would you be so kind as to post a reference to dynamic clocking support
> for a mythtv box?  This is just what I have been looking for.  A Google
> search didn't turn up much.  Perhaps I don't know what to search on.
> Allen
>
> Every modern distro does this on every modern processor by default :)  If
you get a LowVoltage amd processor and enable "cool-n-quiet" in your bios
then it will auto scale voltage for you when it scales down clock.  I'm sure
intel has an equiv, but i haven't personally used it.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/cpufreq/hardware.html has the
exact list of supported arches.

You can see it's working by cat /proc/cpuinfo (default) or if you install
the helper utils by doing cpufreq-info

For example, I have a dual core XP3800+.   Right now I'm at 98% idle (it's
recording 1 show, but I use DVB so there's no recompression going on) and I
get:
cpu MHz        : 1000.000
from /proc/cpuinfo.

cpufreq-info gives the following more detailed information:

analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: powernow-k8
  CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0 1
  hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.00 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1000 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: userspace, powersave, ondemand, conservative,
performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 1000 MHz and 2.00 GHz.
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1000 MHz.
analyzing CPU 1:
  driver: powernow-k8
  CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0 1
  hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.00 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1000 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: userspace, powersave, ondemand, conservative,
performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 1000 MHz and 2.00 GHz.
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1000 MHz.

You can check your powernowd settings to check the stepoff rate/etc.