[mythtv-users] ringbuf in memory?

Scott Harris scott at webhounds.net
Thu Dec 18 21:36:49 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Scott Harris wrote:
>

>> Has anyone considered, or even tried adding a lot of ram to their
>> systems
>> and using it for the ringbuf location?  I mean something like 64Gb
>> of ram.
>> For SD recording that should provide adequate space for the ringbuf
>> I think.
>>
>> Just wondering.....
>>

> Seems like a terrible waste of RAM. You're better off getting a solid
> state drive and using that for your LiveTV. (I assume you mean LiveTV
> - there is no ring buffer any more for recordings)
>
> -Brad

Ah yeah, had forgot all about the solid state drives.  Yeah, this is for
live tv only.  While
the rest of the family never watches live tv, the in-laws are on their
way for the holidays
and I have some lagging latency issues when watching live tv that I
thought maybe faster
ringbuf access might fix.

Thanks for the reply.