[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Ion platform - all your dreams come true?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Thu Dec 18 20:53:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 20:15 +0100, Stephen Boddy wrote:
> http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+Unveils+Ion+Platform/article13723.htm
>
> Intel Atom plus VDPAU capable nvidia chipset on a tiny board. They
> mention nettops as well as netbooks, so provided it has network (wired),
> this would be the ultimate minimalist low power network booting
> frontend.

Nice concept, but why don't they make any low-power full-featured
motherboards?  I want a low-power CPU, but I also want several expansion
slots, dual ethernet, etc.  For a combined FE/BE/firewall/etc
convergence system, I need a minimum of two PCI slots, dual ethernet (or
an extra slot), and on-board video (or a PCIe slot).

In other words, why is it so hard to find motherboards designed for
desktop use with low-power ("mobile") processors?

At this point, I'm probably going to wait for the dual-core Nehalem
chips (quad core is overkill).