[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 18 19:08:05 UTC 2008

    > Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:55:15 +0100
    > From: Martin Bene <martin.bene at icomedias.com>

    > I have recently received drives with PN 9JU138-301 and Firmware CC1G that definitely do not have the problem.

    > I have now got 14 of these drives (1x SD17 updated to SD1A, 13x CC1G). Issues so far:
    > 	    - Firmware problem with the SD17 Drive
    > 	    - one reallocated sector reported by smart on one of the CC1G drives
    > No further problems, no klicking, no failures.

Well, those are good statistics.  Bought from whom?  How long ago
and/or how long have you had them in service?  Do they seem to be
running really hot and/or what temps is smart reporting?

    > Linux doesnt't really care if the BIOS can see the whole drive or
    > not; if you want to boot off the disk make sure you use a small boot
    > partition at the start of the disk; otherwise you should be fine as
    > long as the bios doesn't crash when processing the disk.

Ok.  I'll have the typical tiny /boot at the start and then an LVM
covering the rest of the drive, but obviously that /boot won't be
going anywhere and will be at the start of the device.

Tnx!