[mythtv-users] Sky Set Top Box control only at set times ?

Damian O'Sullivan shabba at skynet.ie
Thu Dec 18 10:25:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Paul Hurley wrote:
> Is there a way to tell Myth only to control the Sky box in set times, (
> like 11:30 till 06:00 and 10:00 to 15:00 weekdays) ??  Or some way to
> work out if someone is watching the skybox and not control it ?

You could use a cron job to rename the channel changer script. This would
prevent myth controlling the box. Or in the channel changer script check
the time and don't change if time is not ok. Of course this would just
make the recording fail (not sure on that - myth may record whatever the
sky box was on. Would need to confirm it bombs if channel changer script
errors).

I have a script (I did not write it) that checks if the STB is powered on
(uses mplayer to see if there is a pic on the /dev/videoX device) and
powers on if necessary. You could get myth only to record if the box was
off and ensure you turn off box when finished viewing. I am not aware of
any way to know if someone is watching anything or if the STB is just
sitting idle. I suspect it is impossible to tell for sure.

PS. I use a PVR150 and after over a year of trying I cannot get live TV to
compare quality wise with direct viewing from the sky box itself.

Damian O'Sullivan  Tel: 087 2241456    damian at linux.ie