[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 04:15:04 UTC 2008

Rod Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2008 11:03:31 am Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Duh!  I should've known! :-)  OK, I found that if I set the Audio Sync
>> value to -20ms, it matches pretty well.  So I ran your transcode script
>> and chose -0.02 as the audio delay.
>>

> You overlooked something I told you: MythTV and mencoder (and hence my
> transcode script) use opposite meanings of the audio sync adjustment, so if
> you need -20ms in MythTV, you need *positive* 0.02s in mencoder. As a side
> comment, if you can really spot a 20ms audio-sync error, then you've got
> incredibly sensitive perception of such things. It takes about 60ms for me to
> notice the effect. A single video frame is about 33ms.
>

>> I haven't gotten a chance to play
>> it yet, but will tonight.  When I do, and it looks good, how do I go
>> about getting Mytharchive to use it?  I know that I can  rename it to
>> have the nuv extension, but since Mytharchive wants to transcode it, and
>> the file is already transcoded, will that mess anything up?
>>

> Tell MythArchive NOT to transcode the file. There are two relevant options:
>
> 1) In the MythArchive setup menus, there's an option called "always transcode
>    recordings" (or something similar to that). Be sure that option is NOT
>    enabled -- if it's enabled, MythArchive will always transcode recordings,
>    even if the file is already DVD-ready.
>
> 2) When you select the recording to burn to DVD, tell MythArchive not to
>    transcode it, rather than set an "SP," "LP," or other "quality" setting.
>    The "don't transcode" option (or whatever it's called) won't be present
>    if the file is in a non-DVD-compatible format, but my script only provides
>    options for DVD-compatible formats, so a file transcoded with my script
>    should be OK (with the caveat I mentioned several messages back about the
>    Linux tools sometimes flaking out and producing short recordings). If you
>    can't seem to select a "don't transcode" option, then check point #1.
>
> I'm pretty sure that MythArchive won't care about the filename extension; it
> checks the file's contents to see if it's in a DVD-ready format.

OK, I have good news and bad news:  I was able to transcode the file,
set Mytharchive to not transcode, and renamed the transcoded MPG file as
the NUV file that Myth expects.  Also, when I created the DVD and
selected "do not re-encode" instead of  a quality setting (SP, LP,
etc.).  So, I was able to then create a DVD and burn it.

Now for the bad news:  when I play the DVD, the sound starts out OK.
It's synced with the video in the beginning, but as the DVD plays, it
starts getting more and more disjointed and out of sync.  For example,
in my recording there is a guy talking about what's coming up.  All is
synced up.  But later on, during a musical performance, you can hear the
music and lyrics, but the guy singing is about 1-2 seconds behind.  You
can read his lips and know that he sung what his lips said 1-2 seconds
earlier.

How can I tighten that part up so the audio matches the video?  Or is
that just something that I have to accept as "normal"?

Thanks again for all of the help!
Harry