[mythtv-users] HVR-950 Trials

Andrew Barbaccia andrew at monolithmc.com
Wed Dec 17 21:10:36 UTC 2008

Hauppauge did that before with the HVR1800s instead of PVR150s around this
time of year, last year. After I went through newegg and buy.com i contacted
them and they actually told me to just ship the units to them and they
shipped 150s back. It took a total of like 3 days because they
pre-authorized my card for the 150s and shipped same day (before i shipped
the 1800s).
Just my 2c of venting.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:

> I've been looking to get a USB TV tuner (NTSC), that I could use with my
> new Atom 330 Myth system that currently has a Hauppauge 350 Tuner. I've
> read a lot about the WinTV HVR series.
>
> I started out by purchasing an HVR-850, to find later on that only
> digital is supported. So, reading more, I saw that the HVR-950 is
> supported on both the analog and digital side.
>
> Noting that the HVR-950Q is not, I went out of my way to make sure the
> vendor had both and specified the HVR-950 model.
>
> The first try was from Newegg.
>
> The unit came in, paper work was as it should be, model on the package
> was correct. But, looking though the little plastic window, showed it to
> be a HVR-950Q?
>
> I must admit, Newegg impressed me; fast service, fast delivery and when
> things weren't as they should have been, fast RMA and they paid the
> shipping to send it back because of the mistake.
>
> My next try, was ordering from Dell.
>
> Again, I made sure that they had both items, made sure that I ordered
> the correct model and again, when it was received, it showed though that
> little plastic window the dreaded HVR-950Q!
>
> I had enough, I've filed for an RMA with Dell and also shot off an email
> to Hauppauge. I just got a response:
>
> "Hello,
>
> We have in the past packaged 950q's on 950 boxes when we don't have
> enough 950's in stock. The 950q is actually a higher price being
> included at a lower price. Obviously in your case I can understand that
> you want to use the unit under Linux.
>
> If you want to guarantee a 950, you would have to get it directly
> through Hauppauge. "
>
> Talk about a complete wasted effort.  And, I'm finished venting.
>
> Doug Lytle
>

> --
>
> Ben Franklin quote:
>
> "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary
> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Andrew Barbaccia
MonolithMC, Inc.