[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?
swalsh at impathnetworks.com
Wed Dec 17 13:27:40 UTC 2008
Seems like this is a question that occurs pretty regularly, so let's
take a snapshot of the "state-of-the-art" for hard drive selection. I'd
love to hear all of your opinions on the following.
What would you say are the most important criteria for selecting a PVR
1. Is it Interface? PATA? SATA? ATA-100, 133, 150, 300?
2. Capacity? Is it simply Gigabytes per Dollar (G/$) or do drives just
get flaky over a certain size?
3. Is it Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF)? Is this a meaningful metric
4. What about RAID? Good or Bad? Good for peace of mind, Bad for
performance? Recommendations for/against using RAID? What about software
5. Rotational Speed? Is it a factor?
6. Average Seek Time? Do technologies like Western Digital Intelliseek
make any difference or just get in the way?
7. Vendors? Seagate? Western Digital? Hitachi? Samsung? Any warrenty
horror stories? Others to consider?
8. Cache size? Since this is mostly a Write operation activity does
cache really affect performance? How important is a large cache?
Ultimately ... what do you recommend and why?
Thanks in advance everyone! This will greatly assist my Christmas
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 335 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20081217/3a9fb2e7/attachment.vcf
More information about the mythtv-users