[mythtv-users] 2 capture cards: want 1 dedicated to live TV, other to recording

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Wed Dec 17 05:53:19 UTC 2008

> If you *really* want to use the one card for *only* LiveTV, then don't
> tell MythTV about it and launch some other LiveTV-viewing program that
> uses your other card and ignores the card MythTV is using.

Thanks for your answer, Brad. I actually like this option better than the
one you mentioned that involves fiddling with card priorities. I was
actually attempting to do something like this before I sent my query to
the list. But I have to admit that I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I
would invoke that other program (both VLC and xine come with Mythbuntu)
while Myth's frontend is running. Do you have any hints as to how this
could be done? Or are you suggesting I quit the frontend in order to view
liveTV, or maybe run a second instance of xorg?

Further input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James