[mythtv-users] MythTV records but doesn't write to disk...

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 00:45:12 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday 15 December 2008 08:16:24 Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

>>> After yet another reboot things changed!!
>>> Hmmm...
>> I can remark though that MythTV happily mentions that it's recording
>> while there is NO data coing in due to soem issue.
>> I tested more:
>> So even if the card has no antenna (no signal!) MythTV won't complain
>> and just pretend to record.
>
> It's not pretending. It is actually recording the static or whatever else
> might be being captured.

Not on digital is isn't, it not passing anything at all out of the
card, the card is running, but if nothing is being passed out would
agree with the original poster it is pretending to record.

> What about if you are recording a "technical difficulties" slide?
>
> Myth has no way to know about "content", though you might be able to detect a
> non-changing video (color bars?)
>
> If a station is off the air, it might well come back up in the middle of a
> program, and you might want to record what's left of the program.
>
> Making content judgements is probably beyond Myth, at least at this point.
>
> You might also be able to detect a no-signal condition if you could get
> reliable signal strength indications.
>
> But on the whole, I don't think I'd want Myth to be making "content"
> decisions.

Brian,

On digital recording with no signal gets *NOTHING* it should be pretty
easy to make a content decision on that.  Technical difficulties in
this case is a totally useless empty file.

I have had it happen because of PCI bus issues caused the actual tuner
card's internal cpu to segfault (internally) and lockup, I did finally
find the message in messages about it, and a reboot was required to
correct it once it happened (it happened several times)     After I
worked around the PCI bus issue by not using disk on the built in PSO
internal controller it quite starving the PCI card slots and it has
not happened to me again.

But it would be a nice thing to have for the other more likely case of
  an antenna issue, or something that would fall over to secondary
channel in the event of issues on the first channel (the second part
is alot harder to do, and likely is not that useful), but the first
part of warning when a channel is weak is more likely to be more
useful in a number of cases.

There should be a way to setup a timer and validate that a min data
rate should be there otherwise a warning message is output, and the
min could be set pretty low to not cause warnings when something was
not actually wrong.