[mythtv-users] Working with DVD ISO images

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 00:30:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, kenneth at berrypatch.net wrote:

> I have somewhat better understanding now, thank you.  Todate all I have
> ever used is mytharchive.  I just checked my mythweb and don't find
> anything like mythburn.  Tonight I will do some more research on
> installing and use of mythburn.

Mythburn is an obsolete pre-cursor to Mytharchive, and as such, it doesn't
do what you want.

You can either use command-line tools like dd and growisofs to rip and burn
a DVD (respectively), or, more likely, use something like k3b, which has
'Copy DVD' and 'Burn DVD ISO image' options. As you've reported that you've
used k3b to burn the ISO already, either the ISO is damaged in some way
(e.g. due to copy protection, or damage to the original disc) or writing the
data too quickly to the media you're using has resulted in a bad burn.

If the problem you're running into is copy protection, then this is not the
place to ask for further information.

If the problem you're encountering is a damaged disc, try ripping more
slowly (if you're using k3b, you'll probably need to add a 'speed=1' or
whatever parameter to 'readcd' in Settings->Configure K3b->Programs->User
Paramters), using a different drive, increasing the number of read-retries
during the ripping phase, using some version of ddrescue to rip, or
professionally cleaning/polishing the disc.

If the problem is a bad burn, try better media (look to see if your writer's
manufacturer provides a media compatibility list), look for updated writer
firmware, or burn more slowly.

> Kenneth Berry

Hopefully that answers all your questions!

Best Regards,
Alex.