[mythtv-users] Database update schema error with trunk utf8

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 17 00:19:12 UTC 2008

On 12/08/2008 05:54 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/08/2008 04:11 PM, freedenizen wrote:
>
>> I will do testing later today when I am back home.  For now just to
>> get the system up and running I deleted everything in oldprogram and
>> in people (which had the same problem).  I have all the backups
>> though, so I will run through the tests you outlined and report back.
>>
> Any chance I could get you to send me a copy of the pre-upgrade backup
> for your oldprogram, people, credits, and recordedcredits tables, also?
>
> grep "INSERT INTO \`\(oldprogram\|people\|\(recorded\)\?credits\)\` " \
>      mythtv_backup.sql > restore.sql

Well, I finally got around to testing your data, and it's
properly-encoded (meaning that my assumption that oldprogram.oldtitle
and/or people.name were improperly encoded by old 0.21-fixes and below
versions of Myth was incorrect) and converts without issue.  I could
/not/ get it to fail.

Therefore, I can't even guess why it's failing on your system.

Can you explain exactly how you got the database that failed to
upgrade?  I.e. were you running MythTV 0.21 and then upgraded MythTV in
place (on the same host and didn't touch the database at all) and then
tried to upgrade the database by running either mythtv-setup or
mythbackend?  Or, did you restore a backup of a database (at any time on
the system) before the initial upgrade failure?

What distro are you running?  Does the distro do stuff to help set up
your database for you?

Mike