[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 22:35:17 UTC 2008

Rod Smith wrote:
> Yes, you can use negative values. Also, note that the delay in mencoder (and
> hence my script) is in seconds, so using 3 as the value is really huge.
> Personally, I start noticing audio sync problems at about 60 milliseconds
> (ms; thousandths of a second), and anything over 100ms is extremely annoying.
>
> A tip: If you can play the file via MythTV, there's an audio sync adjustment
> in the standard player. You can use that to fine-tune it, then copy the value
> from there; however, MythTV measures the value in milliseconds, so you'll
> need to divide by 1000 (you can enter decimal values, such as 0.06 or -0.08).
> Also, MythTV and mencoder reverse the polarity, so if you need a positive
> value in MythTV you'll need a negative value in mencoder (and my script) and
> vice-versa. Of course, this won't work if you can't hear audio in your MythTV
> setup, as I believe was your situation for files with AC3 audio the last time
> you posted. If the audio delay is the same in your original file as in the
> transcoded version, though, you can use the original to estimate the amount
> of adjustment you'll need. Alternatively, you can (and should) check your
> MythTV audio options to see if you can enable proper handling of AC3 audio.

I can play the original file in the Myth frontend player fine.  No audio
mismatches that I can notice.  Its just the trancoded file that seems to
have the out-of-sync audio.  Where do I fine-tune that in the standard
player?  Just so I can see what it's set to and I can try using that
value when trancoding the file.

Thanks,
Harry