[mythtv-users] Rip Damaged DVD

John Baab john.baab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:08:43 UTC 2008

If you want to recover data from a damaged dvd you can use gddrescue

All you do is ddrescue -d /dev/dvd DVD_NAME.iso DVD_NAME.iso.log

This will skip over bad sectors and come back to recover them later,
so if it is choking on bad sectors for a while you can normally ^C it
and the ISO should be as good as you will get.  If you enable the log
like I mentioned above then you can kill the process and restart it as
well.  This is normally a longer process than using myth to rip the
dvd.