[mythtv-users] FaceBook Status Updates in MythTV

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Mon Dec 15 06:07:05 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> You're also not closing LOGFILE anywhere, but that's not a big deal
>> in a
>> Perl script, although seeing as you make a point of closing LASTRUN at
>> the end, you might want to be consistent :)
 >
> I wasn't sure if it would interpret the ~/ correctly and I didn't want
> to hardcode a location. Does it?

I didn't literally mean use the tilde as that's a bash-ism (and other
shells that I don't use).

I'm not specifically sure how to get the home directory (which makes me
bad for suggesting you should use it when I didn't know myself sorry!),
a quick Google turned up the following:

$ perl -le'print( ( getpwuid $< )[ -2 ] )'
/home/john

Replacing -2 with 7 appears to work here too.

$ perl -le'print $ENV{ HOME }'
/home/john

Also works, but not sure how portable that is. Maybe something like:

Failing a combination of those, you could always chdir with no arguments
and see what happens :)