[mythtv-users] good ir receiver for mythtv/lirc

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Dec 15 04:30:17 UTC 2008

Claude Gélinas wrote:
> Le samedi 13 décembre 2008 à 10:47 -0500, Tom Dexter a écrit :
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Claude Gélinas <claude at phyto.qc.ca> wrote:
>>> As my pvr 350 is dead I want to switch to nvidia/VDPAU setup
>>>
>>> my problem is that I need to also replace the ir receiver that was
>>> comming with the 350 card.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to keep the pvr 350 remote and use it with another ir
>>> receiver. If so what brand do you recommand that wil work with that
>>> remote and mythtv/lirc. could be a serial or an usb receiver
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Claude

>> If you can use serial this one's worked perfectly for me (the one with
>> the 6' cable):
>>
>> http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html
>>

> Could I use my old PVR350 remote with that receiver ?
>
> Claude

I've been very happy with a couple of Microsoft branded MCE Remote receivers.
I actually don't use the the remote that came with them, just the USB
receiver. The IR receiver includes a couple of IR blasters in case you need to
control a cable box which is handy.

I've used several generic 'universal' IR remotes with no problems. I haven't
tried the PVR-350 remote I've got in a box somewhere but I'm pretty sure it
generates standard IR codes and *should* work.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote

Kirk Bocek