[mythtv-users] MythTV crash...

Andrew Villeneuve mythtv at villeneuves.com
Mon Dec 15 02:30:14 UTC 2008

My family was watching NFL Sunday Night Football a few minutes ago when all
of the sudden, MythTV stopped playback and wouldn't start again. I closed
the frontend and tried to go into the backend to troubleshoot, but I got
this error:

Failed to run /etc/init.d/mythtv.backend 'stop' as user root
Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file
Close

I couldn't get past this error so I restarted the system and tried to go
into Mythbackend again. I'm greeted by a screen asking me to choose a
language and a message that suggests Myth isn't set up. I'm at a loss as to
what could have happened.

Before Myth suddenly stopped working, I was already having trouble with my
PVR-150 capture card not being recognized by MythTV. Whenever I'd restart
Ubuntu, I'd have to set up the capture card and input connections again,
otherwise, the screen would flash in MythTV frontend and I would not be able
to watch TV. The same thing happened with my DVD drive - it changed to
/dev/dvd2 from /dev/dvd1 and I could not figure out why.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Any system logs I should be looking at to
diagnose this?

Andrew