[mythtv-users] Shutdown SBEs but not MBE with 0.21

John Payne mythtv at payne.ch
Sun Dec 14 16:12:29 UTC 2008

I only found an old (2005) post asking this question and there was
noconclusion at that time
http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1889

With mythtv 0.21 is it possible to get the MBE to shutdown SBEs that
don't have work, without shutting itself down?

I setup an old laptop to act as a WOL server running 24/7- at shutdown
the  BE sent a message to the server with start time & MAC & the server
schedules a wol call via 'at'. When the FE starts it would also send a
WOL packet the the BE (not actually implemented that yet).

The only 'problem' was that I had to force the BE to wakeup if I wanted
to do anything else, like schedule something new, use mythweb etc. I
then thought I could configure the laptop as an MBE with no tuners and
convert the existing BE to an SBE. I've done that today and modified the
MBE/SBE (&FE) nodes to use the new MBE, but I don't see how I can get
the MBE to shutdown & restart the SBE.

Seems to me to be the sort of thing that should be supported in a
multi-node MythTV environment...

Any tips or pointers are welcome

John