[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 14 13:32:12 UTC 2008

Rod Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 11:10:42 pm Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> I was able
>> to transcode the file to an mpg file, but when I play it, I don't have
>> any sound.
>>

> What do you get when you run midentify on the converted file, specifically for
> the ID_AUDIO_ID, ID_AUDIO_FORMAT, and ID_AUDIO_CODEC fields? On my converted
> recordings, these are 128, 8192, and a52, respectively. If you're not seeing
> any audio information reported, then it could be that your version of
> mencoder is having problems with whatever format is used in the original. If
> midentify is reporting correct data, then my first guess is that the audio
> data IS present, but that your MythTV configuration is having problems
> playing it back. Can you play back other files with AC3 sound? (I'm sure
> there are demo files on the Internet, but I don't have any URLs handy.) You
> could check your MythTV's audio options; there are quite a few that interact
> with both different audio formats and how your audio playback works
> (conventional speaker connections, SPDIF outputs, etc.).
>
> You might also try playing the transcoded file with mplayer or other tools
> (even non-Linux tools, if that's an option). If it's MythTV that's having
> problems, you could try making a DVD and see how it plays, both via MythTV's
> DVD-playing tool and a "real" DVD player.
>

>> I selected option 2 in your script ("Convert original audio
>> track to 2-channel AC3") because option 1 ("Copy original audio track
>> unmodified") gave an error concerning -oac "copy" not being right.  The
>> video looked good but like I said, no audio.
>>

> I just checked, and copying audio from .nuv files to MPEG-2 doesn't work for
> me, either. Converting to 2-channel AC3 format definitely does work, though,
> so I suspect either your copy of mencoder is having problems with the
> original audio track or your MythTV installation is having problems with the
> AC3 audio.

OK, when I run midentify on the mpg file, I get 128, 8192, and a52 for
ID_AUDIO_ID, ID_AUDIO_FORMAT, and ID_AUDIO_CODEC, respectively.  I can
play the mpg file using mplayer and it works.  The sound seems to be
slightly behind the video though.  I'll try making a DVD of it later.
When I do, will Mytharchive try and use the nuv file and, if so, how can
I tell it to use this mpg file that I transcoded using mencoder?

Thanks again for the help!
Harry