[mythtv-users] mounting more than one drive to a directory

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 08:48:09 UTC 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 5:54 PM, steve wrote:

> I am using freenas to store video, dvd, etc and have it mounted in
> /etc/fstab on my backend.  no problems accessing anything, works very
> well.
>
> now, my question, I filled one 200 gig usb drive, mounted another one,
> and am starting to add to this empty drive.  is it possible to have
> both
> drives mounted in the same directory (video) on my backend?
> attempts so
> far have been unsuccessful.
>
> OR
>
> is there a way to designate more than one directory on the backend to
> hold video?  that way I can mount each drive to a different directory.

Read all the responses. Here is my solution.

I have a bunch of drives mounted on the backend, all in the /mnt/
directory, and all exported via NFS (for frontend use)

So, mythvideo looks to /mnt/myth2/export/ for videos. This is my
"video" directory. But it's only an 80 gig drive. So, in that
Directory, I have symlinks.

/mnt/myth2/export/ contains symlinks to 2 other drives:

/mnt/onesixty/ - a 160 gig drive I added for other things, but has
enough storage to hold some video.
/mnt/myth/ - a 200 gig drive, which used to be the recordings
directory, but has been replaced with 4x640gig drives, and converted
to video storage.

So, when I go into mythvideo, it looks in the /mnt/myth2/export/
directory and shows me the links to /mnt/myth/Video and /mnt/onesixty/
Video as two directories in /mnt/myth2/export/

now, it is imperative that you export all three volumes over NFS to
the same mountpoints on any clients (I mount everything in /mnt on
both master and slave systems)

Once you've got it all set up, it's seamless... my girlfriend has no
idea how many drives are feeding the TV - it just works.

~Jon