[mythtv-users] AAC Audio Won't Play

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Sun Dec 14 06:05:10 UTC 2008

I've discovered that after my recent upgrade from CentOS 4.6 to 5.2 along with
all current ATRPMS packages, my AAC audio support no longer works. Using the
MythTV internal player I get:

AFD Error: Could not find decoder for codec (AAC), ignoring.

mplayer also refuses to play AAC audio. I think I have the right packages
installed:

$ rpm -qa |egrep "aac|aad"
faac-devel-1.26-3.el5
libfaac0-1.26-3.el5
faad2-2.6.1-10.el5
faac-1.26-3.el5
faad2-devel-2.6.1-10.el5

The ATRPMS MythTV packages are based on SVN Fixes 19114:

$ rpm -q --changelog mythtv-frontend
* Mon Nov 17 2008 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> - 0.21-194
- Update to latest svn fixes (19114).

I've search the archives here and have seen various AAC problems but no clear
solution to my problem.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Kirk Bocek