[mythtv-users] Sound help needed

Brett Williams vipersbt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 18:37:01 UTC 2008

I configured my digital sound using this article in the MythTV Wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound

Everything went fairly smooth, but I am having some problems.  My MP3's
don't play and some movies that I have downloaded won't play audio either.
I am just guessing but it appears to be and issue with 44k versus 48k
audio...  I don't know what all is necessary to troubleshoot this, but I can
start with telling you the following:

>aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

I am using 'iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0', then when I try the test in the Wiki
article:

>speaker-test -c2 --device cards.pcm.iec958 --rate 48000

speaker-test 1.0.17rc2

Playback device is cards.pcm.iec958
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.719134
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.973153
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.973171
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right

And when I do the 44k
>speaker-test -c2 --device cards.pcm.iec958 --rate 44100

speaker-test 1.0.17rc2

Playback device is cards.pcm.iec958
Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 44100Hz (requested 44100Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
Write error: -5,Input/output error
xrun_recovery failed: -5,Input/output error
Transfer failed: Operation not permitted

So, what am I missing?  What do I need to do to get ALL of my audio working
correctly?

--
Brett M. Williams