[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate to reduce warranties on consumer drives to 3 years from 2009

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Dec 12 19:13:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, December 12, 2008 11:03 am, Preston Crow wrote:
> Yes, you're replacement drive will get you 16GB/$1, and that's slightly
> better than 10GB/$1 for a new larger drive, but with the electricity
> expense and given the same time overhead to upgrade, it's a no-brainer
> for me.

I suppose it depends on the application.  The machine this drive was in
wouldn't benefit from a bigger drive -- 160 GB was already overkill.

I also don't necessarily always have $200 to throw at an upgrade every
time a drive dies.

I certainly understand the "good excuse to upgrade" mentality, though. ;)