[mythtv-users] good ir receiver for mythtv/lirc

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 13:36:53 UTC 2008

On 12/12/2008, Claude Gélinas <claude at phyto.qc.ca> wrote:
> As my pvr 350 is dead I want to switch to nvidia/VDPAU setup
>
>  my problem is that I need to also replace the ir receiver that was
>  comming with the 350 card.
>
>  Is it possible to keep the pvr 350 remote and use it with another ir
>  receiver. If so what brand do you recommand that wil work with that
>  remote and mythtv/lirc. could be a serial or an usb receiver

irblaster.info supply serial IR receivers and blasters, and will
likely be cheaper than buying a USB-based solution. You can always
build your own serial IR receiver (plans on lirc.org) and may even be
able to reuse the IR cable from your PVR-350 if you do so.

There are several well-supported USB IR products available too (check
the lirc.org site and MythTV wiki) - and are probably easier to setup
than their serial counterparts. Plus, it's getting harder finding
motherboards with an available serial port, so USB may be a better
long-term solution.

Hauppauge cards and remote controls use the RC-5 IR protocol, and
should work with most/all IR receivers. You shouldn't have any
problems using them with a serial IR receiver, as this is what I do.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/